Monday, October 11, 2010

Being determined - but also knowing when to slow it up (er maybe even give it up!)

Well, that router I was attempting (like after about 7 attempts and 20 hours of frustration on the thing) to install for my friend ended up being a lemon.

I had scoured through pages and pages of online support documentation, technical support forums - only to discover that other people have had the same problems with that particular model. It would go great for a while, then the internet connection would go dead.

I applied all the firmware updates, load tested it, and it still chucked it in while I was streaming some crazy dude of youtube.

I rang technical support - but the wait time was nine minutes, and they would have only gone through all the settings again and recommended a firmware upgrade. I knew it was a bodgy one, because they aren's supposed to just jump offline at random like that!!!

Heck even my old reliable is still kicking after something like four years later. I upgraded the antenna on it a while back, and it works like a charm. I can even go and sit out the backyard and park somewhere with a chai and enjoy surfing away - reliably.

But alas, I apologised to my friend profusely for recommending he purchase that particular one, and suggested we go and get his money back. So after 20 hours of frustration ... I finally kicked the boot in, so to speak. Went and swapped it over for a whiz bang all in one wireless modem router that has a three year warranty.

And I got his DVD configuration finally working, so now he just has to pop in a movie and it plays like a charm ...

Now I am off to do a registry cleanup of the hubby's computer sometime ... oh the joys of computers.

So - its all good - when you honestly know that you have done your absolute best, and you still can't get the thing to work - don't give in to that old stubborn nature. It isn't that you have failed, you have tried persistently, learned about something else, and were able to make a sound judgment that it is time to wipe the slate clean and start again. Seems to be the nature of a lot of things.

I guess long term relationships are like that. Every day is a new day, a chance to start over. Get angry, sure, but don't let the sun go down on that anger - to do that is toxic. Don't stew over something that really isn't worth it in the major scheme of things. You lost a pen? A USB drive? It will probably turn up again - don't risk a major argument over it. It is more important to try to maintain a home and relationships that are peaceful, rather than get upset over small things that can be replaced.

LOL I accidentally ran over my sunglasses. I am annoyed about that - there was a stage a few years back where I would have gone off my rocker. They are expensive prescription ones. It will involve an amount of expense to replace them, but I know that I will get another pair in time. That is all good.

I had an epiphany this week too - that a pauper mentality says that "I can't afford (insert whatever desired object is in here)," but a princess's mentality is that she says "I can trust my Heavenly Father to provide that for me if it is in His will," and with that thought in mind, I know that if I abide in Jesus, that my desires will line up with what His will is for my life, and He will give me the desires of my heart.

Isn't that lovely? I don't really need to stress about it then, just focus on living a life that pleases the Lord, and by seeking Him first and having a wonderful and loving relationship with my Heavenly Father - the Creator of the whole big place. Now if He is looking after me, I don't need to worry. With that thought, I bid you all adieu for this evening.

Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment