Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Courage to Go On

An associate of mine has had a heart attack. We were working on a project together, that would benefit children in a school - give them something to do during the break times, so that they could master new skills, improve their social relating, and build their self esteem, and foster greater harmony amongst the student population.

When the students are happy - the teachers can teach better, the job isn't so hard, and people aren't so harried. Having special needs kids myself - I know how tough it is.

My teenager beat me up the other day out of frustration - it is frustrating to teach kids with special needs, it is hard to be parent of kids with special needs - but sometimes we might be the only person in that kid's life who tells them that they are worthwhile.

I am looking forward to some respite tonight - the boys are now back at school, after a hectic school holidays, and hopefully my brain will have some time to recover - or something like that.

When you have a disability yourself, and you have kids with a disability/special needs/learning disorder/medical condition - or if you teach or work directly with these kids - you are going to need to take care of yourself.

If you don't take care of yourself - a big health wake up call will undoubtedly be your body's way of telling you to slow down, get some more sleep, exercise and eat properly.

I was going to grab myself a packet of chips just before ... I thought to myself is this really going to benefit my body in the long run, or am I just going to be a slave to the emotional eating?

I chucked the chips back in the cupboard (they're snack stuff for the kids for school) and then I grabbed some muesli, some yoghurt, some passionfruit pulp and some frozen berries. Why did I bother? Because I am worth it, and I have a duty to myself and my kids to look after and nurture my body.

I am heading off to a training session this afternoon with my hubby - an active date at the gym LOL. Who would have thought little old couch potato me would ever crave the gym? LOL

Take care of yourself, nurture yourself, and find inner strength - I have found my inner strength in Jesus. I just want to share that my believe has very literally saved my life - it wasn't until after I listened to a sermon on taking care of my body by Joyce Meyer that I started down the track to physical wellness.

Do it for yourself, if nobody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment