Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Greening the laundry day

Well, I did end up doing a bit of retail therapy - this time for the planet. I really detest using the dryer - the carbon footprint for those things is really hideous.
I do have the most wonderful solar powered dryer out the backyard - the traditional old Australian Hills Hoist. They are great big washing lines, that you can lower up and down (which is great because the boys can help me bring in the washing), and they are virtually maintenance free.
Unfortunately - I can't bring it inside. So to work I got on my bunged up indoor drying rack (thankyou to the inventor of sticky tape) and put my laundry on it. I also went down to the dollar store, and picked up a massive bargain priced indoor laundry rack for $12.00.
For a bit of beauty therapy, I picked up a Garnier tone correcting serum for only $6 - it was a steal!! And some of my favourite shampoo for half the price I pay for it at the supermarket. I have decided I am only going to wash my hair every two days - less product, less time spent in the shower - lower my carbon footprint. There is always the dry shampoo if it is really bad LOL - and it saves me loads of time too, waiting for my hair to dry. I don't tend to "style" my hair a lot with the hairdryer. I usually wash and wear, but I do style it if I am going out or something like that.
So I am feeling better about my carbon footprint - just a small change is all it can take - to (a) lower my electricity bill and (b) reduce my carbon footprint. I am considering eating more vegetarian meals to reduce our meat consumption too. (I only buy free range eggs now! After seeing some stuff that Jamie Oliver showed about battery hens I just can't face the cage eggs anymore!!!)
*by the way guys - the two books I bought last night were e-books - they definitely have to be more eco-friendly than a printed book - and to top it off, one of them was about reducing my carbon footprint.*
Well, the kids are getting hungry, the washing machine has beckoned ... so I am just about off. Oh and I also applied to my electric company for a peak demand reduction trial. Ain't I a good little girl. Today wasn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am new user for this site. But I read this site, this site is very well. I like it.
    Thanks.

    Stretching Exercises

    ReplyDelete