Monday, September 20, 2010

Bargain Entertainment

I have a whole bunch of gamers in my home - we like to play Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox and Nintendo DS. I also like to read books - lots of them. I love music as well. I also enjoy movies. Unfortunately (well actually really quite fortunately) - my weekly cash allowance doesn't stretch to cater to buying everything on a fancy whim and desire.
So what is a hard core book reader, gamer and movie buff to do? You can scour ebay for great second hand deals on games and books, is one way to satiate your appetite. The local library is also a wonderful source of music, movies, and books galore. I walk out of the library with my two bags fully loaded and ready to go.
There is definitely a bonus in using my local library!!! I get vouchers on there like two for one coffee deals, so my friend and I can get a $2 cappucino and catch up every other week. (Thanks for that my local library!!!) The library is also a great place to go and chill out, grab the latest of my favourite magazines, and then I can leave, not having spent a cent, but having enjoyed all the latest articles.
What about things I can't hire from the library - like games and a larger collection of movie DVDs? Well, for Australians, there are things like Bigpond movies http://dvd.bigpondmovies.com/ to check it out - if you want you can do a free trial. There is also now Red Room DVD http://www.redroomdvd.com/home.php where you can rent movies from a box in the local mall. Just go to google, and do a search for DVD rentals, and voila - you can rent movies, and send them back without having made a huge financial commitment. The other thing that I have picked up on now is game rental - you can check out your local video store, or there are also online options - for Australians - such as http://www.rentagame.com.au/ - Rentagame or there are plenty others. There is also the option of trading in some of your games towards the purchase of a new one towards that new game that you want. It also pays to wait a couple of weeks after the release of the game, when the people who bought it first have played it out, then traded it in. For rentals, trades and all of that other stuff make sure you check out all their terms and conditions for yourself, and I am not necessarily recommending one or the other, just letting you know that these options are available. I recommend you do an independent search on the internet to see what you can come up with yourself :-) - and don't forget, there is always probably the trusty old video store in your local area where you can hire a game or a movie - just don't forget to take it back on time, so you can avoid the late fees!!! * I also advise, that if you are going to download movies, please do so legally - if you download pirated films you are taking away from future investment in the industry and taking away people's jobs!!! Please follow all the applicable copyright laws in your country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment