Saturday, October 2, 2010

Laugh it up ... fuzzball

Ahhhh .... Star Wars ... Han Solo and his companion Wookiee.

Han's statement to his companion to "laugh it up," came to my mind as I was sitting down earlier this evening at the local cafe extraordinaire for a rather extravagant indulgence.

My husband and eldest son were skimping on the items they bought - a plate of chips to share between them, a post mix-drink for the teenager, and a regular cappuccino for the love of my life.

I disgusted my husband when I ordered not one but two drinks ... and a slice of lemon and lime cheesecake (mmmmm sublime). Oh yes what about all this talk of health, Lori? Hmmmm yes well I go by the 80/20 rule - 80 percent of the time - make the stuff at home. The other 20 percent of the time well why not go and enjoy that 20 percent. And I did give two thirds of the cheesecake slice to hubby to consume - so let up hey (LOL)

I politely told my husband that if I was going to be economical, I would have gone to McCafe and used my 2 for 1 cappuccino voucher. (Hang on there - they do have lovely coffee - but there are loads of little kids tearing around and I wanted an atmosphere that was a little more sublime).

My most favourite place for an extravagant coffee and cake in the whole world is Angel Cafe - a local cafe with a sublime atmosphere - low lit and decorated in smooth, subdued tones and subtle mood lighting. Big problem - I took my son there, and my husband, who both decided that they were going to argue with me about my decision to be extravagant.

And so, off my hubby goes to the toilet to probably get some time out, after giving me a dressing down about ordering two drinks (oh really! I don't want to decide between two of my favourites so why can't I just have both!!!) whilst he and my son only ordered one each. Then my son started going rambling on about being economical and something about how ice does something in the drink or some such other thing.

Across from our table, there is a man, probably in his mid 30s, and dressed in the local university's alumni association jacket. He was a sole diner - not much of a meal really - a small bowl of chips and a pot of tea. And he leered at my son and I and snickered.

I really did think he was going to choke on his scrimpy meal and pot of tea, he was snickering so hard, and I don't know if he was trying to hide it, but oh man, what a lousy job. He might as well have just launched into a full scale belly laugh.

And so my friends is the joy of dining with a teenage son with Autism, and a wonderful husband (who I think at times may have some fanatical traits himself - but I will keep that just between you and I and the gatepost).

And then he got up and trudged out, and left the three of us there, discussing what a single man was doing in an elegant cafe, eating such a scrimpy meal. My husband concluded that he must have been there for the scenery (um please explain dear?) "the waitresses, Lori - the waitresses." Oh yes, I must admit the waitresses at Angel are very attractive and well groomed.

So did I enjoy my two drinks and 1/3 of a cheesecake? Oh yes indeed. Is it interesting being somebody's else's Saturday evening entertainment? Whatever gets you going man, whatever gets you going.

But guys - I mean really - if I am going to be economical I am going to drive the car in the other direction, or walk even, to McCafe and use the old two for one voucher. Great coffee, but loads of little kids and its loud.

If I want the mood and the experience, and to really lap it up with an indulgence, then by gosh I am going to go down to Angel for some atmosphere and class. And enjoy the best iced coffees and chai lattes in town.

.... so long as you're not doing it every week Lori ... otherwise it just becomes commonplace, and not something to be savoured. And when I do go there, why not do it in style?

*signing off and going to feed my family some barbecued hotdogs and some home-made hot dog burger buns (see I can be economical and cook things from scratch still!!!)*

No comments:

Post a Comment