Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Saving Yourself Money By Investing in Your Skills

By investing in your skills - you can save money by being able to do it yourself, and also be able to make money by being more employable or having the opportunity to run your own service for others
About five or so years ago, I decided to go to the local TAFE college to learn how to put together and fix computers. Unfortunately for me though, I didn't get to finish it off - I did about two thirds of the course. What I did learn though has saved me hundreds of dollars!!!
Computer technicians can charge upwards of around $50 plus an hour (don't take my word for it though - phone around in your own local area for a good price). I remember a long time ago, we had a video card in the computer throw it in - it cost me around $130 to get it looked at - and that was a good price at the time (and that was quite a number of years ago). With the price of goods increasing, and the post global recession economy, people are deciding to go more frugal, and learning more DIY kind of stuff. There are ways and means of DIY - getting books from the library, attending a community course etc. *some things need to be left to the experts - I had a dream last night about making sure we hired a qualified electrician LOL - must have had something to do with the book I was reading about time saving tips*
Anyway - back to my course - the Certificate III in Information Technology (General): it ended up costing me about $500. I was able to get a concession fee, because I live on a disability pension, and I paid it off through Centrepay - which is where you can get course fees paid out of your welfare payment in Australia.
My hubby at the time - about halfway through my course - ended up getting a bad dose of pneumonia, and ended up in hospital. This kind of threw a spanner in the works, and it was difficult to get to classes. I did what I could, and I spoke to the disability services officer at the TAFE college, and he was able to help me get as much completed as I could.
So I finished off the six months of community college with about 10 competencies out of the course. And I was able to put together our computers, back them up, install operating systems, get rid of viruses, replace hard dives, set up a really great home network, and save myself loads of money in the interim.
Anyway - so fast forward to today - whenever I go to the main mall in the middle of town, from time to time I walk past the Skilling Solutions Queensland office. The Queensland State Government has set up this really neat scholarship program, where they can help you upgrade your qualifications, get recognition for your existing skills, and help you basically become more employable.
So two weeks ago, I visited Skilling Solutions http://www.skillingsolutions.qld.gov.au/ (for more information) to see if they could assist me. They were able to help my husband - who is by trade an engineering patternmaker, but has been working in a warehouse and stores at a local foundry. He was able to get a Certificate III in Transport and Logistics (Warehousing) through a recognition of prior skills scholarship. It was a very straightforward process, a little time consuming, but he was able to get recognition for his skills, and it will help him be more employable in the future.
So - I am braving it myself now. Today I am filling out the paperwork to finish off my IT qualification and get it off to the local community college ( http://www.tafe.qld.gov.au/ for more information on Queensland TAFE colleges - Technical and Further Education). I hate leaving things unfinished. It is really important to me to get this finished off, it gives me some closure, and it may lead to employment as a IT support officer. Either way - it will pay dividends. Speaking of IT bargains - check out some amazing specials on IT equipment - Comp-U-Plus 

In this day and age, it is vital to get oneself skilled up. I went to university and did a three year degree in Journalism and Communications. That is great - but there isn't much calling for it in the town where I work. I recommend when you are evaluating your own skillset, and looking to expand your skills, you do a web search to look for how much in demand those skills are (for example in Australia - the Australian Job Outlook: http://joboutlook.gov.au/ The other thing I recommend doing is to an online evaluation of your skills and interests, and compare these to recommended career fields - for example, in Australia - there is the My Future website, where you can register and have a free online career guidance report, according to such things as your skills, interests, and job requirement preferences (eg outdoor, indoor, lifestyle, flexible arrangements) http://www.myfuture.edu.au/ *Also check around and see what local resources are available to you, such as a careers counsellor at your local school or college*
Anyway I am off to get this paperwork done, and finish off this certificate!

No comments:

Post a Comment